Edinburgh Mathematical Society Postgraduate Meeting for Students 2017
Jun 07, 2017 - Jun 09, 2017
The Burn, Edzell
|Eftimie, Raluca||University of Dundee|
|Trucu, Dumitru||University of Dundee|
The Edinburgh Mathematical Society will host its twentieth residential meeting for postgraduate students from all Scottish universities at The Burn, a country house situated in extensive grounds near Edzell in the Highlands, in early June 2017. The aim is to provide an informal setting for students to meet others working in similar areas. Participants are encouraged to give short talks on their research and the programme will also consist of other intellectual activities, with ample time left for socialising and exploration of the grounds.
The cost of the meeting will be subsidised by the Society, but it is necessary to make a charge to each student of £67.50, payable in advance. The following universities have confirmed that they will pay the £67.50 charge for their PhD students:
University of Aberdeen
University of Dundee
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
University of St Andrews
University of Strathclyde
We are waiting to hear from the other Scottish universities.
This fee covers the cost of accommodation and all meals at The Burn, from Wednesday evening to Friday lunchtime. We are not able to reimburse the cost of travel to The Burn, but you may be able to recover this from your department. We will provide transport to The Burn from Montrose station for the outgoing journey on Wednesday and also for the return journey on Friday 9 June.
Participation You may register your interest in attending this meeting by completing the application form. The closing date for applications is Friday 12 May 2017. Numbers are limited and if your application has been successful you will be notified by e-mail after 15 May 2017.
Timetable The meeting will begin in the afternoon on Wednesday at 16.15 and will end after lunch on Friday 9 June at 13.30. A detailed timetable will be published in due course in the Programme section of this page.
How to get there
The Burn is 1½ miles east of Edzell on the B966 road. If you intend to travel by CAR, you should aim to arrive at the Burn before 15.30 on Wednesday 7 June. Please visit this link for driving instructions.
If you are travelling by TRAIN, you should go to MONTROSE. We will provide transport to The Burn from Montrose station for the outgoing journey on Wednesday 7 June and also for the return journey on Friday 9 June.
• For the outgoing journey on Wednesday 7 June the minibus will depart at 14.30
• For the return journey on Friday 9 June the minibus will depart at 13.30.
Please note places are strictly limited to those who have requested minibus transportation. The journey between the Montrose station and The Burn will take approximately 30 minutes.
On Wednesday 7 June suitable trains to Montrose are:
• Aberdeen Departs 13:37 Arrives 14:17
• Dundee Departs 13.39 Arrives 14.09
• Edinburgh Waverley Departs 12:30 Arrives 14:09
• Glasgow Queen Street Departs 11.41 Arrives 13.33
• Leuchars Departs 13:23 Arrives 14:09
• Stirling Departs 12:07 Arrives 13.33
On Friday 9 June suitable trains from Montrose are:
• Aberdeen Departs 14:10 Arrives 14:50
• Dundee Departs 14:18 Arrives 14:53
• Edinburgh Waverley Departs 14:18 Arrives 16:28
• Glasgow Queen Street Departs 14.18 Arrives 16.18
• Leuchars Departs 14:18 Arrives 15:29
• Stirling Departs 14:18 Arrives 15:43
Please check the train times before travelling. Further information about rail travel can be found at the Scotrail website.
Facilities Bedding and a towel are provided at the Burn House. If you have indicated a special diet, this will be catered for. Tennis, croquet and bowls can be played in the grounds, and the area is good for hill-walking. (Note that you are responsible for your own safety during any activity).
The Burn contact details Further information, about the Burn House can be found here.
Giving a Talk
- Talks should be 15 minutes long. Session chairs will be keeping a close eye on the time, so don't overrun!
- There are no blackboards at the Burn. You must prepare either over-head projector transparencies or an Acroread (pdf) presentation. A data projector is available for those wishing to give a Acroread presentation. A computer will be available for this purpose which will run Adobe Acroread. Bring your talk on a USB key, or as a last resort you can e-mail the talk directly to Dr Raluca Eftimie.
Please remember that you may be the only expert in your subject area at the Burn - so don't make things too difficult for the rest of us.
- Not Giving a Talk: Those of you who are not giving a talk will be allocated the job of session chair or helper.
Academic enquiries: Dr Raluca Eftimie Department of Mathematics, University of Dundee Tel: 01382 384488 Email: email@example.com and Dr. Dumitru Trucu,
Department of Mathematics, University of Dundee, Tel: 01382 384462 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative enquiries: email@example.com